Creating a Subscription Product
In this article:
What are Subscriptions?
Subscriptions on VHX let you charge your customers on a recurring monthly and/or yearly basis for streaming-only access to your content. You can add new work as often as you want! You control the branding, packaging, and pricing. Learn more!
VHX's subscription fees are simple: $1 per subscriber per month + merchant fees. More on pricing.
How do I set up a subscription product on VHX?
- Head to the Products page of the VHX Admin.
- Click the Create Product button and select Subscription from the dropdown.
- You will then be taken through the process of creating a subscription, first landing on the SETTINGS tab where you can set:
- TITLE - Set a name for the subscription.
- DESCRIPTION - Describe what the subscribers will be receiving.
- TRAILER - Set a trailer for your product from your uploaded videos.
- AVAILABILITY - This is the ON/OFF switch for the subscription.
- CUSTOM EMAIL RECEIPT (optional) - Enter a special message for the subscribers. It appears in the email receipt to them.
- Next is the PRICING tab. Here you set the following:
- Monthly Recurring Price - If you set this price, people get charged monthly. ($1.99 minimum)
- Yearly Recurring Price - If you set this price, people get charged yearly. ($12.00 minimum)
- Free-trials - Want to give subscribers a free trial to watch your content before they are charged? Set it for 3, 7, 14, or 30 days! Or, don't.
You will not be charged the $1 price for a subscriber in a free-trial. You will be charged once the customer is in the paying part of the plan.
- Next, upload the Subscription ARTWORK. This is displayed on your site, social media, and in VHX apps.
- And finally, add your CONTENT! Content is managed by your Collections on VHX. You will need to setup a Collection on the Collections page to add it to your Subscription product. Here is a guide on Collections.
- Movie - A Movie Collection is for a feature film with optional supporting content.
- Series - A Series Collection is for just that - a series, with seasons and episodes. You can sort by seasons within a Series.
- Playlist - A Playlist is a group of videos ordered for consecutive playback.
- Once you have done those things, hit the Save Product button. Congrats! Your subscription is now for sale.
WHAT ARE COLLECTIONS?
A Collection is a group (or folder) of videos that you select for your paying subscribers to view. Your subscription must contain at least 1 Collection. There are 3 types of Collections you can make for your subscription:
When do subscriptions get charged each month?
Subscriptions get charged on the same day each month/year that the user has subscribed. So, if they first subscribed on March 15th, they would next be charged on April 15th.
How does a subscriber cancel their subscription?
They can cancel at anytime on their purchases settings page at http://vhx.tv/settings/purchases. When they cancel, they will have access to the content until their next billing cycle day.